Skip to content
We want you to be safe on-line, so here are a few tips about using social media to keep in mind from CommonSenseMedia.org
- Use privacy setting.
- Limit the audience of a post (only to family, for example).
- Create a closed, invite-only group on social media service such as Facebook.
- Turn off your phone’s GPS.
- Consider using a nickname for your kids.
- Think about using photo-sharing sites such as Google Photos and Flickr that require users to log in to see pictures (unlike on
- Social media, where all your followers can see them).
- Don’t include your kid’s friends in photos that you post.
- Don’t include any personally identifiable information, such as your home address, signs, your kid’s school.
- Be careful if you share custody. It can be emotionally difficult for exes to see photos of their kid when they’re not included.
- Be prepared for feedback of all kinds: not everyone will share the same view of the photo and online comments can lead to misunderstandings.